The economic development of air transport has been a key ICAO priority since we were established in 1944. A sound and economically viable civil aviation system generates wealth, employment and numerous socio-economic benefits through its activities, supply chains and a wide spectrum of other economic activities, particularly trade and tourism. It also feeds into aviation re-investment and supports a sustainable and healthy cycle of aviation and economic development.
To foster the development of a sound and economically viable civil aviation system, robust air transport policy and regulations are required. These reduce States’ costs in performing economic regulatory functions, improve air connectivity, create more competitive business opportunities in the marketplace and increase consumers’ benefits and choices.
Stemming from these aims and objectives, ICAO developed policies and guidance on air transport policy and regulation, which include policies on charges and taxation, guidance on national, bilateral and multilateral regulation, market access, airline ownership and control, trade in services and the economic oversight of airports. Our Member States are encouraged to ensure their national regulations on air transport reflect and complement these policies and guidance.
To support these efforts, we developed the Air Transport Regulations, Air Transport Regulation Issues and Air Transport Economics online courses to help participants understand, interpret and apply the basic concepts and institutional considerations of international air transport economic regulation at the national, bilateral and multilateral levels from the perspective of the policy maker, regulator and industry. These courses were developed based on ICAO’s updated policies and guidance on air transport regulation, and cover the following areas:
Air Transport Regulation online course
- National regulation
- Bilateral regulation
- Multilateral regulation
- Market access
- Air cargo
- Airline ownership and control
- Non-scheduled air service
- Economic oversight of airports
Air Transport Regulation Issues online course
- Passenger rights
- Airport operations
- Trade in services
Air Transport Economics online course
- Economic regulations of air carrier capacity
- Air carrier tariffs, including the different types and characteristics of tariffs with terms and expressions used by the airline industry
- Methods for establishing tariffs and international and national regulatory mechanisms
- Economic imperatives of air cargo transportation and sales methods for air cargo
- Classifications of air cargo transportation
- Various kinds of non-scheduled air services
- Regulated commercial aspects of international air transport
- Business aspects that can impact market access and the effectiveness and profitability of air carriers
- Impacts of internet platforms on airline product distribution and electronic commerce, including computer reservation systems
- Principles behind the best practices of good corporate governance and finances
To learn more these courses, click on their links above. ICAO Training equips and empowers current aviation professionals with the techniques and tools to thrive in today’s challenging aviation sector. Our courses engage learners from diverse backgrounds, facilitating relationship-building and collaboration across borders. The full portfolio of air transport regulation and economics training courses can be found through the link for the Aviation Training and Education Directory.